Installing and Configuring the SearchBlox WordPress Plugin
SearchBlox now provides a new and enhanced version of the SearchBlox plugin for WordPress, one of the best content management systems. This plugin provides a dynamic search through a wide variety of content in WordPress, making your search more flexible and dynamic, and enabling a drill-down approach while searching. With the latest plugin installed, you can do a federated search of your WordPress content along with other web pages, personalized file systems, RSS files, emails, custom information, databases, MongoDB, Google Drive, Twitter content and CSS files.
First, install and set up SearchBlox's latest version, available for download from our website. Instructions are available in the Searchblox Wiki. You can set SearchBlox up in the same server or in the cloud.
After successful installation of SearchBlox, start your SearchBlox server. Now, you will be able to access the Admin site of SearchBlox through this link:
Note: Please contact SearchBlox to get your Server license. The WordPress plugin cannot be activated with a free license.
Installing the WordPress Plugin
1) Download the SearchBlox WordPress plugin (available as a .zip file) from the SearchBlox website.
2) Log in to WordPress admin page. From WordPress Dashboard menu, go to Plugins > Add New. Then, upload the SearchBlox zip folder (downloaded above) and click Install. If your installation is successful, you will get the "Plugin installed successfully" message shown below.
3) You can search for the WordPress plugin and install it directly, as shown in the screenshots below.
Configuring the SearchBlox WordPress Plugin
1) After you've successfully installed and activated the plugin, you will be able to see the SearchBlox settings appear under the WordPress Settings menu. There are two menu items; one is for the basic SearchBlox settings, and the other is Collection settings.
2) In the SearchBlox settings, enter the API key, Server Name and Port number. Then, click the Authorize button to connect WordPress with SearchBlox.
3) After successful authorization, the following page will appear. Create a custom collection in SearchBlox, give the custom collection a name, and click the Save Collection button.
4) After naming the collection, you can synchronize WordPress with SearchBlox as follows:
- Clicking the Synchronize button will help in synchronizing (indexing) the web content of WordPress with SearchBlox.
5) Clicking the Clear button will clear the SearchBlox settings.
6) Next, create a custom collection in SearchBlox. This custom collection will be used to index the web content and pages from WordPress.
Configuring SearchBlox Collections with WordPress plugin
SearchBlox collections can be configured to be searched through WordPress using the SearchBlox collection settings. Collections you wish to be included in WordPress search results must first be checked in the SearchBlox collections page. With this feature, one can search not only WordPress, but all types of collections supported by SearchBlox.
Searching WordPress through SearchBlox
1) The short code for implementing SearchBlox in WordPress is [searchblox_search]. To search using SearchBlox, you have to paste this short code in their webpage.
2) Now, the user can run a faceted search of SearchBlox from their webpage.
Features of SearchBlox WordPress plugin
- Search other websites through the SearchBlox WordPress plugin using an http collection.
- Search local files through the plugin using a file system collection.
- Search databases, MongoDB, Twitter content, Google drive files, Amazon s3 files, CSV and RSS files through the respective collections. To learn more about the collections supported by SearchBlox, please visit the SearchBlox Wiki.
- Search WordPress pages from the SearchBlox site.
This search is possible using SearchBlox once you have associated the SearchBlox WordPress plugin with the WordPress website. Once you have indexed the WordPress content in SearchBlox, you can search for the content related to WordPress from the main SearchBlox search page using the SearchBlox server.
Faceted Search through SearchBlox WordPress Plugin
You can perform faceted searches through SearchBlox using the following four attributes: Keywords, Collection, Modified Date and File Size.
- You can narrow your search and drill down, per your requirements, using these attributes.
- You can view the attributes as buttons on the left side of the page, similar to a drop down list.
- You can limit the number of Keywords and Collections by clicking the down arrow on the right corner of the Keywords and Collection buttons. The default number for the attributes is 10. To prevent the attribute values from displaying, you can enter the value 0 here.
- While searching, you can modify your facet any time by just adding or removing the attributes based on your search requirements.
- All four attributes can be used simultaneously to drill down into your search results.
- You can add or change a facet by either adding the attribute or remove the added values.
- A facet can be added to a search by selecting the attribute values. You can view the added attributes above the search results.
- You can remove an attribute of a facet by just clicking the x mark from displaying in the attribute values above the search results.
Keywords as a Facet
By selecting the Keywords facet, you can limit your search results based on the availability of those keywords. You can add or remove a set of keywords from your search results, as mentioned above. You can also add more than one keyword to your facet.
Collection as a Facet
By selecting a Collection facet, you can limit your search to a WordPress website, file system or RSS feed. You can add or remove one collection at a time. To change a facet based on collection, you need to remove the existing collection attribute and then add the new one.
Modified Date as a Facet
You can limit your search results based on the Modified Date of the search results. Here, too, you can add or remove one date attribute at a time.
Size as a Facet
The Size facet limits the search results based on size. Note: Only one size attribute can be added or removed at a time.
SearchBlox WordPress plugin - additional features
- Sorting by the bar on top of the search results is one of the important features of SearchBlox. This way, you can sort you search results based on date, alphabetical order and relevance in both ascending and descending order.
- A relevance bar, on the right side of each result, indicates the percentage of relevance that the search result has based on the search term used.
- You can also modify or replace a keyword facet with other facets like title, author, etc., per your requirements, by making changes to the index.html file within SearchBlox.